New Super Mario Bros. U
Find a way to load or at least decently render these
Common/layout/Title.szs, which contains layout files for the title screen and related screens, contains two unused screens; E3CourseSelect and E3ThankYou. These were probably the screens used in the E3 2012 demo. E3CourseSelect is self-explanatory and E3ThankYou would have been used when the demo timed out. The text relating to these menus are blank in at least some versions of the game.
Many, if not all, the sound waves that were in NSMBW (including NSMB leftovers) are also present here with their original filenames, but some are silent. These aren't listed.
3063 - SE_BOSS_WOOGAN_FIRED
3064 - SE_BOSS_WOOGAN_FIRED_NO_DAMAGE
These are the standard enemy fireball sounds. Maybe the Iggy battle's Magmaarghs fired fireballs at some point.
Unused Level Features
The New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U releases don't have the unused levels (13-2, 13-4, 13-7, 18-1, 16-1, 16-2).
Jungle Yoshi Drums
If you hack Yoshi into a level with this music, the drum track plays. [change todo to say "check if this is mixed correctly"]
Bonus Room Yoshi Drums
The same situation with this track, except the drum track existed and was used in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
[NSMBW ogg here - waveforms are the same]
This was left unused New Super Mario Bros. Wii too. It is called "BGM_CHEEPFANFARE_LR_RY_32.STRM".
- [Muncher] This behaviour can be encountered in the early version of Coin Courses-8.
- Big Koopa Troopas, Big Buzzy Beetles and Thwimps have hitboxes that are impenetrable by Yoshi's tongue.
- Yoshi can bounce off Thwimps and get points from doing so (starting at 200 points).
- Yoshi can bounce on Bouncy Clouds. This behaviour can be encountered in the early version of Coin Courses-8 and in New Super Luigi U's Meringue Cloud-4.
- Bob-ombs can bounce off Bouncy Clouds. They could bounce off the Mushroom Trampolines in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
- The Toad NPC has basic "gravity" code, as he will move when on platforms and conveyor belts, and will fall slowly if placed mid-air.
This background (or a similar one) was used in the E3 2011 demo's Course 4, which was an early version of Rock-Candy Mines-6.
A placeholder Mii player icon can be found in various layout files, in multiple sizes and configurations.
The pink Balloon Baby Yoshi model in \Common\demo\000\ is called yoshichibi_green, suggesting that the Balloon Baby Yoshi was once green, or a green Baby Yoshi once existed and was used in this cutscene in place of the Balloon Baby Yoshi.